Author Topic: Best new Desktop Environment for a new user  (Read 172 times)

Offline ssfc72

• Posting Member
Re: Best new Desktop Environment for a new user
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 02:49:15 am »
Edit:  Oops, I see now that this Distro is no longer supported. :-(        How about a Distro for gaming such as Game Drift Linux.

Also a search turned up this info
https://itsfoss.com/linux-gaming-distributions/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 03:38:03 am by ssfc72 »
Mint 18.3 on an HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook
Tried Mint 19, but too many bugs. Went back to Mint 18.3
Cellphone ZTE Axon 7 Mini, PCMobile pay as you go

Offline buster

• Posting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 09:49:16 am »
"I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, maybe the games she plays under Windows can be played under Linux with WINE. "

Would I be criticized for pointing out that it doesn't make sense to install Linux mostly to play Microsoft games that run perfectly on the original Win10 OS? And to have to deal with WINE to do it?
"With all due respect John I am head of IT and I have it on good authority if you type 'Google' into Google you can break the internet, so please no one try it, even for a joke." ( Jen on 'The IT Crowd' )

Offline ssfc72

• Posting Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 10:06:19 am »
Yes. :-)

Running Linux avoids the freezing/slowing down of my computer while Windows downloads it's Updates, extra unwanted programs, etc.   With Linux, you don't have to bother with running/maintaining Virus programs.  You don' t have to run/maintain Malware programs.  :-)
Mint 18.3 on an HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook
Tried Mint 19, but too many bugs. Went back to Mint 18.3
Cellphone ZTE Axon 7 Mini, PCMobile pay as you go

Offline buster

• Posting Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 10:30:28 am »
" you don't have to bother with running/maintaining Virus programs.  You don' t have to run/maintain Malware programs.  :-)"

I do understand. But I don't think of malware and viruses. They have been running successfully in the background for me for years.

My updates don't seem that much different on my windows machines from my linux machines, EXCEPT for when Win10 does an upgrade to the new release number. But my linux OS's also do upgrades to the next release, tho they do seem less intrusive.

But getting back to my main point, if Mrs Jason has a win10 machine she is comfortable with, why go to the trouble to get the same stuff on a linux install ?
"With all due respect John I am head of IT and I have it on good authority if you type 'Google' into Google you can break the internet, so please no one try it, even for a joke." ( Jen on 'The IT Crowd' )

Offline Jason Wallwork

• President
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 07:04:44 pm »
I would have thought after all these years, I wouldn't have to justify using Linux to a PLUG member. So I'm not going to. :)
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Offline buster

• Posting Member
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 08:59:21 pm »
"I would have thought after all these years, I wouldn't have to justify using Linux to a PLUG member. So I'm not going to. :)"

You're right. I apologize. I forgot Mrs Jason was a PLUG member and should choose a Linux system rather than staying with Windows.  :)

Offline Jason Wallwork

• President
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 01:35:53 am »
Sheesh. Why are you trying to yank my chain, Buster? She wants to try something new.

Don't you do that all the time when you try a new Linux distro every other week? I'm sure it'd be more comfortable for you to just stick with Windows.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:48:40 pm by Jason Wallwork »
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Offline buster

• Posting Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 12:40:40 pm »
" trying to yank my chain, Buster?"

Moi? Would I ever, ever do that Jason?